Required Posting FAQs

Last Update: March 29, 2019

Q: Are there 2019 updates to required California and Federal employment notices on CalChamber's all-in-one poster?

A: Yes.

Effective January 1, 2019, there were mandatory updates to the EDD Notice for Employees that involve Unemployment Insurance (UI), Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) .

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) released mandatory updates to its “California Law Prohibits Workplace Discrimination and Harassment” notice, relating to the expanded harassment education and training requirements of SB 1343.

Reminder: On January 1, 2019, the minimum wage increased to $11.00/hour for employers with 25 or less employees and $12.00/hour for employers with 26 or more employees. This requires an updated posting (California Minimum Wage notice).

Mandatory updates were approved by the DFEH to the Family Care and Medical Leave (CFRA Leave) and Pregnancy Disability notice, (now called the Family Care and Medical Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave notice), adding information about the New Parent Leave Act (NPLA). Effective April 1, 2019, this is a new posting requirement for California employers covered by the NPLA (20 to 49 employees) and an updated posting requirement for those covered by CFRA (50 or more employees).

CalChamber's all-in-one poster contains the 18 required state and federal employment notices every California employer must post.

Q: Are there pamphlet updates?

A: Yes.

Effective January 1, 2019, there were mandatory updates to the Paid Family Leave pamphlet (Rev 16; 12/18), as well as to the Unemployment Insurance pamphlet (updates to claims instructions).

Effective March 2019, California's Employment Development Department (EDD) issued mandatory updates to the Paid Family Leave and State Disability Insurance pamphlets, adding benefit disbursement options (debit card or check).

Q: Where should I display the posters?

A: Display the posters in a conspicuous place where all employees and applicants can easily read it, such as a break room, common hallway, payroll office or other common location. You must also display posters in each company location.

Q: What other information must be distributed to employees?

A: Required notices include:

  1. For Your Benefit (DE 2320). This pamphlet explains California's Unemployment Insurance, Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave programs, and must be distributed when an employer discharges or lays off an employee, places an employee on a leave of absence, or when an employee resigns.
  2. State Disability Insurance Provisions (DE 2515). This pamphlet explains an employee's disability insurance rights and must be distributed to all new hires and again if an employee goes out on disability leave.
  3. Workers' Compensation Rights & Benefits pamphlet. Give all new employees the Workers' Compensation pamphlet at time of hire.
  4. Sexual Harassment pamphlet. Every California employee and independent contractor must receive a sexual harassment information sheet from his/her employer.
  5. Paid Family Leave pamphlet. This pamphlet explains California's Paid Family Leave program. Give it to new employees and employees requesting time off for a covered reason.
  6. Rights of Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking pamphlet. Give it to all new hires, and to other employees who request it.
  7. Earned Income Tax Credit Notification. All employers are required to notify all of their employees of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

Required Notices Kit includes all the required notices that must be distributed to employees. Some specific posting requirements apply only to certain industries. For a list, visit Unique Posters and Notices.

Q: Must I post the Cal/OSHA Log 300?

A: If you are an employer in a high-hazard industry and you employ more than 10 people, you may be required to post the Cal/OSHA Log 300. See HRCalifornia's Log 300 Wizard for more information.

Q: Must I post both state and federal minimum wage posters even though California's minimum wage is higher than the federal rate?

A: Yes. California employers must post both minimum wage notices. CalChamber's California and Federal Employment Notices Poster contains both of these notices.

Q: Must I use laminated posters?

A: No. You may choose to use a laminated poster because of your work environment's needs. For example, if your company operates in a hazardous environment, outdoors or belongs to industries such as restaurants or construction, laminated posters are highly recommended.