Leaves of Absence: Making Sense of It All - MASTLOA
Leaves of Absence: Making Sense of It All is a two-day virtual seminar taking place online from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each day. From your desktop or favorite device, engage with our California employment law experts as they present live from our studio and answer your questions submitted via Zoom.
Two-Day Virtual Seminar Dates and Times
Please note: There is no recording associated with this virtual seminar so be sure to attend the live training.
Thursday, August 24, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PT (Part 1)
Friday, August 25, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PT (Part 2)
Thursday, September 21, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PT (Part 1)
Friday, September 22, 2023, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PT (Part 2)
Unlike most states, California has numerous leave laws. Managing these leaves of absence can get confusing for even large employers with a dedicated HR staff — especially since required and optional leaves can overlap with each other.
Additionally, rules concerning existing leaves change frequently, making it challenging to stay up to date.
How do you make sense of the different types of leaves and any legal requirements that apply to them? Let our legal experts demystify common and more difficult-to-resolve leave administration issues for you:
- Leave interaction
- Discussion of both paid leave and unpaid leave
- Eligibility requirements
- Required notices
- When employers must continue health benefits
- How an employee can receive wage replacement benefits while on leave
Our experts speak to a whole host of state and federal laws, including:
- Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL)
- California mandatory paid sick leave
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- Leave as a reasonable accommodation for a disability
- Newly mandated bereavement leave
- Other leaves such as PTO, vacation, jury duty and USERRA
- Plus State Disability Insurance (SDI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) wage replacement programs
To avoid penalties or costly litigation, it's essential to understand all required leaves of absence, plus any overlapping California and federal legal requirements.
Virtual Seminar Details
- Comprehensive overview of differing California and federal rules for required and optional leaves of absence
- Presented by CalChamber's top employment law experts
- Created for HR professionals, office managers, business owners or anyone responsible for hiring and staffing
- Formatted so participants can submit questions during the virtual seminar
- Provided: downloadable slides and supplemental training material
- Optimized for mobile viewing on tablets and smartphones
This virtual seminar offers information only and does not serve as or replace legal advice.