Required Posting FAQs

Last Update: November 17, 2016

Q: Are there 2017 poster updates I should know about?

A: Yes.

Compliance Alert: All California employers must post the new minimum wage notice (MW-2017) effective January 1, 2017.

Effective 10/2016, address changes were made to the Cal/OSHA notice. These are recommended updates.

Previously Required Midyear 2016 Updates:

On August 1, 2016, mandatory updates by the Department of Labor (DOL) to the Federal Minimum Wage notice and the Employee Polygraph Protect Act notice took effect.

The Federal Minimum Wage notice was revised to reflect updated (and mandatory) DOL enforcement rules under the Fair Labor Standards Act, including information relating to misclassification of independent contractors, tip credits, and nursing mothers. The federal minimum wage did not increase. The Employee Polygraph Protection Act notice was updated to reflect mandatory changes to the contact information, and to remove reference to the penalty amount for violation of the law.

Effective April 1, 2016, California’s Pregnancy Disability Leave notice was updated for California employers with five or more full-time or part-time employees and all California public sector employers. This was a result of regulations amended by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Covered employers are required by law to give employees notice of their rights and obligations relating to pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions.

Q: Are there pamphlet updates?

A: Yes.

Effective July 2017, the EDD updated and issued a new version of the Paid Family Leave pamphlet. General updates were made to the pamphlet, including information regarding how benefits are calculated, qualifying for leave, new telephone numbers and website information for claim submission, and other clarifying changes (Rev 14; 7/17). The EDD recommends that all employers begin using this updated pamphlet.

The EDD also informed us that they will issue another updated version of the PFL pamphlet sometime before January 1, 2018, which will be mandatory and therefore required for employers to use.

Effective October 2016, there were mandatory updates to the:

  • State Disability Insurance (SDI) pamphlet (Rev. 64; 10/2016) with required legal updates explaining what happens when a second claim is filed that is related to the first claim. In addition, new information regarding filing claims and other updates were made.

There were recommended updates to the:

  • Paid Family Leave pamphlet (Rev. 13; 9/2016) with changes to the "Fast Facts" about paid family leave, new telephone numbers for information in languages other than English, and other clarifying changes.

Remember, not informing employees of their rights in the workplace can result in lawsuits and fines.

Q: Which notices does CalChamber's California and Federal Employment Notices Poster include?

A: CalChamber's all-in-one poster contains the 17 required state and federal employment notices every California employer must post.

Q: Where should I display the posters?

A: Display the posters in a conspicuous place where all employees and applicants can easily read it, such as a break room, common hallway, payroll office or other common location. You must also display posters in each company location.

Q: What other information must be distributed to employees?

A: Required notices include:

  1. , Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave programs, and must be distributed when an employer discharges or lays off an employee, or places an employee on a leave of absence. California's Unemployment InsuranceFor Your Benefit (DE 2320). This pamphlet explains

    (DE 2515). This pamphlet explains an employee's disability insurance rights and must be distributed to all new hires and again if an employee goes out on disability leave. State Disability Insurance Provisions

    . Give all new employees the Workers' Compensation pamphlet at time of hire. Workers' Compensation Rights & Benefits pamphlet

    . Every California employee and independent contractor must receive a sexual harassment information sheet from his/her employer. Sexual Harassment pamphlet

    . This pamphlet explains California's Paid Family Leave program. Give it to new employees and employees requesting time off for a covered reason. Paid Family Leave pamphlet

    Earned Income Tax Credit Notification. All employers are required to notify all of their employees of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

    ). This notice informs employees that their employer is required to send copies of Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (Form W-4 [federal] or DE 4 [state]) to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) if the certificate meets certain conditions. DE 35Notice to Employees (

Required Notices Kit includes all the required notices that must be distributed to employees. Some specific posting requirements apply only to certain industries. For a list, visit Unique Posters and Notices.

Q: Must I post the Cal/OSHA Log 300?

A: If you are an employer in a high-hazard industry and you employ more than 10 people, you may be required to post the Cal/OSHA Log 300. See HRCalifornia's Log 300 Wizard for more information.

Q: Must I post both state and federal minimum wage posters even though California's minimum wage is higher than the federal rate?

A: Yes. California employers must post both minimum wage notices. CalChamber's California and Federal Employment Notices Poster contains both of these notices.

Q: Must I use laminated posters?

A: No. You may choose to use a laminated poster because of your work environment's needs. For example, if your company operates in a hazardous environment, outdoors or belongs to industries such as restaurants or construction, laminated posters are highly recommended.??